From reels to TikTok trends to unending Reddit threads, your customers are bombarded with content Every. Single. Day. With so much competition and ever-shortening attention spans, it is becoming harder for brands to communicate their messages to their target audience. To get you started on a more effective content strategy, the Leverage Team has put together this guide which covers tips for developing a content strategy for your business.
One of the best ways to build customer trust and stay top-of-mind is through a consistently executed content marketing strategy. Your content, i.e., social media posts, newsletters, website content, and more, is your first line of communication with potential customers. It encourages users to engage with your brand and get curious about what you offer.
“70% of marketers actively invest in content marketing” HubSpot Marketing
Why are Content Strategies Important?
Your content strategy dictates how you will attract and engage customers at each stage of their buyer journey. For this reason alone, it is crucial that you thoughtfully plan out how you want to communicate with various types of buyers. How you word an email for a current customer vastly differs from how you would market your products or services to a consumer who has never made a purchase.
Beyond buyer journeys, content strategies also help with Google rankings, and it gives your brand a consistent voice. You want to be able to tell your brand’s story in a way that is both concise and meaningful. Your story gives potential customers a reason why they should pay attention to your brand and care about what your company can provide. Crafting an exceptional customer experience through useful, engaging content will help retain customers, build brand loyalty, and generate new leads.
“Content Marketing is a commitment, not a campaign.” – Jon Buscall
Eight Tips for Developing a Cohesive Content Strategy
You can’t always plan “go viral” when developing content. Instead, the most successful creators are the ones that utilize a content strategy and publish content consistently. However, content creation for multiple channels can feel daunting and exhausting if we are honest. To help your team develop an effective content strategy, our Digital Content Manager, Kate, has created a list of eight tips for developing a content strategy and to avoid content burnout.
- Set your content goals. What is the ultimate goal of your content? Are you looking to increase brand awareness? Would you like to re-engage former customers? Generate new leads? Determining your ultimate goal will help to set the tone and direction for your content.
- Research your audience and develop an understanding of who you want to target. What are their pain points? How can you address their needs? What does your buyer journey look like, and how do you want to engage with your audience at each step?
- Make Annual Planning a priority. Set aside time with your team to look ahead over the next six months or the entire calendar year. For every upcoming event, map out your marketing needs, from social media posts to email campaigns and press releases.
- Develop content pillars. Content pillars provide a framework for your weekly social media posts each month and help to ensure that your platforms receive a mixture of different types of content each week. They also take care of some of the mental legwork that goes into creating content. Examples of potential content pillars include Customer Reviews, Educational Posts, Reels or Video Content, Meet the Team, Customer Stories, Community Resources, New Products, Sales or Specials, etc.
- Create Monthly Social Media Calendars. Creating a social media calendar ahead of time cuts down on last-minute posting so your team won’t scramble for posts each week. Planning content also helps your brand and its story stay consistent.
- Don’t be afraid to recycle or refresh past social media posts and blogs. It’s okay to post the same content from time to time! Algorithms are set so that only 1-2% of your followers will see your organic (unpaid) posts. It is likely that the majority of your audience hasn’t seen this content yet. On the other hand, if a customer has already viewed this content, reposting still serves as a good brand reminder to keep your company top-of-mind.
- Utilize project management software. Project management software is truly a game changer! At Leverage, we use Asana to help track the entire team’s progress on many different projects. It helps keep projects moving, stores all important details, and ensures everyone is working toward the same goal.
- Use analytics to measure your success. Like any part of marketing, content strategies are about testing to see what works and what doesn’t. Use Google Analytics and social media insight dashboards to determine what types of content resonate with your audience and provide the best brand experience.
Get Creative with Leverage Marketing
Creating one campaign for your brand isn’t going to cut it. Content creation requires continuous effort, innovation, and a long-term strategy. If all this sounds out of your wheelhouse, you aren’t alone! If you are looking for a content refresh, connect with the team at Leverage. We create bold brands, delivering polished products, and are always developing new, innovative ideas. Message us to get started today!